S7-400 Modular controller for building systems of medium and high degree of complexity
• Modular programmable controller for solving complex tasks of automatic control.
• A wide range of expansion modules.
• Use of distributed I / O structures and easy inclusion in network configurations.
• Hot swap modules.
• Convenient design and work with natural cooling.
• Free build-up of functionality while modernizing the control system.
• High power thanks to a large number of built-in functions.
S7-400 programmable controllers may include:
• Central processing unit (CPU). Depending on the complexity of the tasks to be solved, various types of central processors can be used in the programmable controller. If necessary, you can use multiprocessor configurations, including up to 4 central processors.
• Signal Modules (SM), designed to input and output discrete and analog signals.
• Communication processors (CP) for organizing network communication via Industrial Ethernet, PROFINET, PROFIBUS or PtP interface.
• Functional modules (FM) – intelligent modules for solving problems of high-speed counting, positioning, automatic regulation and others.
• Interface modules (IM) for connecting expansion racks to the base unit of the controller
• Power supplies (PS) for powering the controller from AC or DC power.
Controller design is highly flexible and easy to maintain:
• All modules are installed in mounting racks and fixed in working positions by screws. The integration of modules into a single system is carried out through the internal bus of the mounting racks. Up to 21 expansion racks can be connected to one base unit.
• Arbitrary order of placement of modules in mounting racks. Fixed footprints should only be occupied by power supplies.
• The presence of removable front connectors (ordered separately), which allows for quick replacement of modules without dismantling their external circuits and simplifying the process of connecting external circuits of modules. Mechanical coding of the front connectors eliminates the possibility of errors when replacing modules.
• The use of TOP Connect modular and flexible connectors, greatly simplifying installation work and reducing their execution time.
Central Processing Units
S7-400 programmable controllers can be equipped with various types of central processors, which differ in computing capabilities, memory, speed, number of built-in interfaces, etc.
When building complex control systems, the S7-400 allows you to use up to 4 central processors that perform parallel information processing.
Most CPU parameters can be configured using Hardware Configuration STEP 7.
To program and configure the S7-400 controllers, use the STEP 7 package, the full range of design tools and Runtime software.
A wide range of discrete and analog signal input-output modules allows the S7-400 to be adapted to the requirements of the task at hand.
Communication processors are intelligent modules that perform offline processing of communication tasks for industrial networks PROFIBUS, Industrial Ethernet, PROFINET and the PtP interface.
Intelligent I / O modules equipped with a built-in microprocessor and capable of performing tasks of automatic control, positioning, speed counting, motion control, etc. A number of functional modules are able to continue to fulfill the tasks assigned to them even if the central processor stops.
Interface modules are designed to organize communication between the base unit of the controller and its expansion racks.
Each S7-400 CPU has a built-in power supply with an input voltage of 24V. PS 405 and PS 407 power supplies are used to power the central processor and other controller modules. PS 405 use DC input voltage for their work, PS 407 use industrial frequency AC input voltage. It is possible to install two special redundant power supplies in the basket to duplicate rack power.
They are the constructive basis of the controller and allow you to place from 4 to 18 controller modules.
S7-400 CPUs support isochronous operation of distributed I / O systems and CiR (Configuration in Run) technology.
In traditional distributed I / O systems based on PROFIBUS-DP there are many inconsistent cycles: the execution cycle of the central processor program, the cycles of data exchange via PROFIBUS-DP, the maintenance cycles of the I / O of distributed I / O stations, etc. As a result of this, the values of the input signals of the distributed I / O system read into the memory of the central processor relate to different points in time, which introduces errors in the operation of the automatic control system.
Isochronous mode allows you to synchronize all of these cycles and to eliminate errors due to temporary mismatch of the read information.
Support for the isochronous mode allows you to successfully solve the problems of building distributed motion control systems, distributed measuring systems, distributed automatic control systems, etc.
CiR technology allows you to make changes to the configuration of an existing control system without stopping the production process.
CiR technology allows you to:
• Add new or delete existing distributed I / O stations and field level devices that act as slaves on the PROFIBUS-DP / PA bus.
• Add new or remove existing modules in ET 200M distributed I / O stations.
• Cancel the entered configurations.
• Reconfigure ET 200M station modules. For example, in the case of replacing some sensors with others.